Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Serendipity

I had never heard of Serendipity in Oak Orchard, but some friends convinced me to give it a try. It's a bit out of the way, but it has a great view on the Indian River Bay, making it a destination restaurant (particularly since there aren't any other shops or restaurants nearby).

The decor is eclectic, with lots of tchotchkes on the walls and ceilings. The menu is also all over the map, with lots of Italian and seafood selections. A sign near the front door indicated that they feature Polish foods on Wednesday nights.

After we ordered, we were invited to try the restaurant's bread table, which had a nice selection to choose from. Then, I started with the Maryland crab soup, in a red base. This was a disappointment, as it was overly salted. I've had better soup out of a can.

Then, I had the broiled scallops, which came with a potato side, along with a veggie. Sadly, the highlight of this meal was the mashed pototoes. They were extremely creamy (some cream cheese added, perhaps?), with just the right amount of garlic. The scallops were overcooked and extremely tough. Nuff said. I originally chose brocolli as my veggie, but they ran out of that. (I'm not sure how, as we were there early, and the dining room was empty, but I digress). Anyway, I switched to corn, which was apparently scooped right out of the can and onto my dish.

In summary: Serendipity has a great location, some great bread, and disappointing food.

No comments: