Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Atlantic Liquors

Atlantic Liquors on route 1 (near the Rehoboth Mall) has been the store of choice for the past 10 years or so. Until some recent changes, I thought that they had an unbeatable combination of great prices and outstanding service. In the past, when you were in Atlantic Liquors, every few minutes or so an employee would check with you to make sure that you found what you were looking for, etc.

I went into the store recently to pickup a case of beer. The case that I wanted didn't have any signs showing the price, although the price shown for another case by the same microbrewery was waaaaay out of my price range, so I wanted to check on the price before I bought. Anyway, I searched high and low and could not find any employees to help me. I finally found an employee, who was busy chatting with a friend. I waited patiently for the employee to catch up with his buddy, and when there was a break in the conversation, I asked about the price. He responded with a curt "I don't know", and went back to his conversation with his buddy. No "let me check", no "I'll find out for you", nothing. This is not the level of customer service that I had come to expect of Atlantic Liguors. Since they were not interested in my business, I headed off to the new kid in town, Outlet Liquors. Lo and behold, Outlet Liquors had the beer that I wanted, with a price clearly marked (that also happened to be in my price range).

So ... score one for Outlet Liquors. It looks like Atlantic Liquors needs to step up its game (or at least get back to where it used to be).

No comments: